Five Things Daniel Will Not Miss
Title: Five Things Daniel Will Not Miss When He Finally Leaves the SGC
Author: Maeve Bran
Notes: Not mine. Set post-Season 10.
1. Daniel won't miss carrying a gun as an offensive weapon. He never minded having a side arm to defend himself and his team. (Heck he'd had a gun ever since he went on his first dig to defend himself from the predators that might attack in the jungle, be they four legged, two legged, or the kind that slithers.) But he minded having to shoot first and ask questions later.
2. Daniel won't miss the post mortems on missions that went wrong. He really hated attending briefings when someone was injured or dead on the mission (particularly when that someone had been himself.)
3. Daniel would not miss the alarms that went off at all hours. Sure, he had gotten used to them in the last ten years and could sleep through them if he was supposed to be off duty, but that didn't mean he wouldn't welcome the absence of the noise and the adrenaline spike that they produced every time (especially when the adrenaline was not needed. That was always the worst part-- trying to figure out what to do with the unused adrenaline.)
4. Daniel would not miss dying and being resurrected every other year. He was happy to be alive and breathing now; he just hated the paperwork when he died and was returned in some form. He had been grateful when Jack instituted the "Daniel must be dead and buried a full year before the paperwork goes through" rule. The buried part was morbid, but necessary, since when Ascended there was no body. If there was no body then he was coming back. Daniel would be glad when he could be assured of no more deaths in his future.
5. Daniel would not miss Vala Mal Doran when he finally left, because he was taking her with him. Daniel thought it only fitting that since he was married to an alien when he joined the SGC, when he left he'd be married to an alien woman again. Taking Vala with him would ensure that his retirement would be as adventurous as he was used without the danger of dying.
All in all, when Daniel finally left he would miss it, but he got the parts of the SGC with him in the form of his friends and wife and that was all he needed.